Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Georgia Giorgi Chakhnashvili visited rehabilitated schools in the villages of Koki and Orsanta in Zugdidi. Both villages are located on the left bank of the River Enguri, close to the Abkhazia administrative border.
Koki public school in one of the oldest schools in Zugdidi, it has a two storied building, about 179 schoolchildren study there and 66 are displaced from Abkhazia. Until recently, the school was partially rehabilitated which was carried out within the scope of the President’s Iakob Gogebashvili Program, this year, USAID undertook a full renovation of the school.
Orsanta public school was founded in 1932. In 1980, a new building was built for the school, which was partially rehabilitated in 2007 within the frame of the President’s Iakob Gogebashvili Program. In April renovation works were fulfilled with the financial support of the USAID. There are 290 schoolchildren at this school and 85 are displaced from Abkhazia.
Enhancing the school infrastructure is one of the priorities of the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia. Currently, Ministry undertakes a rehabilitation and construction of the schools throughout Georgia.